Mission and Vision
The Mission of L’Arche is to:
Make known the gifts of people with intellectual disabilities, revealed through mutually transforming relationships.
Foster an environment in community that responds to the changing dreams and needs of our members, while being faithful to the vision and core values of our founding story.
Engage in our diverse cultures, working together toward a more human society.
L’Arche demonstrates that with friendship, belonging, and the opportunity to contribute their gifts, people with intellectual disabilities flourish and their lives make a difference. They take a variety of valued roles – employees, volunteers, leaders, artists, teachers, friends, and family – contributing to the lives of their families, friends and communities.
Living with difference and vulnerability is challenging, yet L’Arche demonstrates that when all people, including the most marginalized, take their place, society becomes more human – more colourful, welcoming, creative, compassionate, and joyful.
The L’Arche Vision
The Vision of L’Arche is rooted in relationship and belonging:
- Mutual care, respect, and compassion between people with and without intellectual disabilities
- Sharing ordinary, daily life with all its joys and sorrows
- Living, working, learning, and celebrating together in communities of belonging
- Transforming our lives as we embrace our gifts and imperfections
- Recognizing that we need each other and are better together
- A model of inclusion, a way of peace, and a sign of hope for our world.
The L’Arche relational model breaks down barriers between those who give and those who receive supports. It replaces society’s emphasis on independence that leaves so many people lonely, with interdependence where each person flourishes as they contribute their gifts for the good of others.