Dance in the Shadow Kit
This kit is built around the video clips on the DVD-ROM Dance in the Shadow: The Unfolding Story of Rebecca Beayni. The videos introduce students to the mutually empowering experience of dance with someone who uses a wheelchair.
The kit consists of 11 short videos and 6 PDFs, 5 of which have appendices in Word containing only the Questions for Students. All users should begin with PDF 1, the Introduction. Other PDFs relate to 2015 learning expectations for:
- Grade 6 Language and Social Studies
- Grade 10 and 11 Arts (Dance)
- Grade 11 Leadership/Peer support OR Guidance
- Grade 10 Religion (Ontario Catholic curriculum)
The 6th PDF offers suggestions for use for Retreats and Conferences.
This kit is a collaboration of L’Arche Canada and Partners for Planning. All parts – videos and teacher’s guide – may be downloaded and used free of charge from this website or from partnersforplanning.ca. Alternatively, a hard copy of the DVD-ROM (containing all of the videos except that of John Delazzari and Michael Barrett) may be purchased through inclusion.com.
Videos (click to open)
- Revel in the Light (12 min.)
- John Delazzari and Michael Barrett (1:49 min.)
- Dance Intro (3 min.)
- I Can Dance!!! (2:30 min.)
- Anna Bruno (5 min.)
- Heryka Miranda (5 min.)
- First Encounter (5:40 min.)
- Gratitude (8 min.)
- Massey Hall Dance (6 min.)
- You Raise me Up (4:30 min.)
- Dance in the Shadow (23 min.)
Teacher’s Guide and Questions for Students
PDF 6 – for Retreats and Conferences
A good leader will not exercise authority from 'the top'. The diagram for community is not a pyramid but a circle. A community leader leads with others. The pyramid is the diagram for an army or for industry.
Jean Vanier, Community and Growth, p. 228